Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Goats, Donkeys, and Fertilizers

Donkey Plan B went into effect today. Actually, I didn't have a Plan B. It just happened.

As usual, donkeys were all lovey dovey and "gimme, gimme" when I went out there by myself today. They went nonchalantly in and out of the trailer, so I practiced lifting the ramp a tiny bit just to see what they'd do. Of course, Hilde and Kip got their nose all out of joint and ran off. Buffy was in to eating all the food herself, so I got brave and lifted the ramp a little more (the ramp lifts up to close the trailer). She didn't freak out, so I lifted it all the way. She seemed a bit concerned, but was calm, so I latched it. I called Tom and told him I had Hilde in the trailer and we might as well move her. So he drove the truck down to the pasture.

Neighbor's daughter-in-law, Jesse, happened by as I was closing the trailer, so she helped us hook the trailer up, then went to help me move Billy and Henry. I had put moved them to the next pasture over so they could have some new grass to eat. That pasture wasn't goat fenced so I was a little concerned that Billy might get out, but as far as I know, he didn't evey try...and why should he? The grass is definitely better on his side of the fence. Anyway, we moved them back to their regular pasture and put Hilde, by herself, into that pasture. Tomorrow I plan to try to get Buffy and Kip into the trailer. Neighbor, Joann, said she'd help get them in and then she would put a halter on Kip. I said, "Better you than me." Heh.

I put all goats except Hyacinth out in the pasture today. It didn't seem to bother the kids that they went without their mother. They stuck close to Pansy. I guess she's their surrogate now. I figure if I keep Hyacinth and her kids apart for a few days, they'll forget about the nursing and I can put Rose back in with her mother and send Cosmos out with the big boys. Poor Cosmos. Maybe he'll have his voice back tomorrow. He sounds so pitiful - like a kitten.

I milked Hyacinth again tonight. In between feedings, there was a lot of kicking and thrashing. I left her on the stand longer than I needed to just because I was feeling annoyed and she needs to know that she stays there until I'm finished. All told, I got a quart of milk from her today. And I used some of it to make my focaccia bread tonight. If you don't hear from me tomorrow, we might have died of goat milk poisoning.

Tom finished his fertilizer training. It's kind of a catch 22 situation (sort of like getting a gun license). Now that he is a licensed applicator, he has to keep up with all these rules. Even if I (me, myself) buy a jug of round up to squirt on a dandelion, Tom has to keep a log of it and we're supposed to notify anyone who comes on our property that we just sprayed something. He even has to log my use of compost tea and orange oil on my garden plants. There are a whole bunch of other rules, punishable by fines, criminal charges, and threats of losing one's license. The problem is, you can't buy the products to use unless you have the license. So they've got you no matter what.

There are still 23 chickens alive and well.

3 comments:

Terra said...

the rules for the fertilizer... is that just a county thing?

Mosaics said...

I don't know - I doubt it. It's probably a state or federal thing.

April said...

H..that leads me to wonder? did Terra have fertilizer and not know she was suppose to be licensed? LOL. Ignorance (of the rules) is bliss isn't it?! :-)