Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Gadonk

Seems that's what I call Kip more than his name. It just fits.

Neighbor, Joann, came out to the pasture to help me with the donkeys, but as I expected, they wouldn't have anything to do with her. Before she arrived, they were gathered round me getting rubs and nibbling my fingers, but as soon as Joann arrived, they went off. So we stood around in the pasture talking a long time just so the donkeys would get used to her being around. After a while, they did come back and kind of hang around, but as soon as we got out halters and ropes, they took off again.

Oh well, I had a good visit with Joann, so it wasn't a total waste.

Last night, in desperation, I wrote to a complete stranger, a goat farmer I found on the internet, to ask for advice about how to get Hyacinth to stop kicking. She actually called me today. I was very surprised that she would take the time. We had a good long talk and she gave me some tips. But when I told her my plan about weaning the kids, then milking Hyacinth, she wasn't on board with that at all. She thought it was a bad idea and referred me to her website on which she addresses that very issue.

I liked what she had to say, and it made sense, but I decided it did not apply to my situation because Hyacinth was a different kind of mother. I won't bore everyone with the details. Suffice it to say that I will continue with milking Hyacinth unless or until it proves to be unproductive. I got another quart today. At that rate, although it is paltry for a Nubian, I would get more than a gallon a week and that is way more than we regularly use. So it's enough for now.

If you're interested in what the advice was, you can go to the website and read it. I think those who know Hyacinth would agree that it doesn't really apply.

http://www.glimmercroft.com/Udder.html

1 comment:

Meagan said...

Maybe you can use that method with Hyacinth next year. This woman doesn't seem to have any experience with a bottle-fed mother.