Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Monday, April 06, 2009

Crying Babies

I'm weaning Rose and Cosmos today. Tom and I cleaned out all the stalls. Ugh, what a backbreaking job. Then we put Rose and Cosmos in their own stall and gave them a little grain. My intent was to take the rest of the goats out to the pasture for the day as usual, but surprisingly, no shockingly, Hyacinth wouldn't leave the barn without her kids.

I coaxed her out and a little way from the barn, but she kept stopping and looking back. Of course, Rose and Cosmos were crying and crying their little baby "maaah's". Then she just wouldn't go any further and she turned around and ran back. So, I just put her, Pansy and Pansy's kids back in their stall.

I'll be attempting to milk Hyacinth this evening. Wish me luck.

Tom and I are also going to attempt to get Kip into the horse trailer and into the barn some time this week - maybe today or tomorrow. I still haven't got a halter on him, so I don't know how this is going to go. Wish us more luck.

The chicks spent their first night in the chicken coop. We put a heat lamp in there because it was in the 40's last night and is supposed to be in the 30's tonight. When I went in to feed them this morning, they were all huddled in the light's heat. And they are already learning that "chick, chick, chick" means "come eat". I have to teach them that so that when we start letting them out during the day to range, we'll be able to call them back into the coop for the night.

2 comments:

April said...

Are you going to have an enclosed chicken yard around the coup?

Mosaics said...

Yes. We just haven't decided how to build it yet - what kind of fencing and posts or if we should make it movable or not.