Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Monday, April 13, 2009

Coyote Scat

...er, poop (for those who don't know what scat is), has been found uncomfortably close to my house.

At least, I think it coyote scat. It's not dog and it's not cat (cats usually cover theirs). I went looking on the internet to try to confirm my suspicions that it is from the coyotes. Not surprisingly, there are tons of pictures of animal poop on the internet. What is surprising is the number of pictures in which the poop is held in a human hand. Ack!

Anyway, the scat is full of bugs that have been injested by the animal. I really didn't know that coyotes ate bugs. I thought it should be full of rabbit and mouse parts. But what other animal could it be? I first noticed the unusual poop just a few yards from the chicken coop. Uh-oh. I think they're peeking in and planning a raid.

Then today when I walked out to the garden, there was a large pile that looked as if several coyotes (or whatever) had all pooped in the same place. That's just a few yards from the house. I've been hearing the coyotes yipping very close by lately, so I try not to let Pearlie out after dark except right by the front door. I probably should go ahead and get a very large dog. That might be helpful in keeping coyotes away from the house.

4 comments:

Meagan said...

Uh oh! You might need to get a lock for that door! Dogs can learn some pretty mean tricks.

Yes, get a very large dog.

And get a very large dog to protect your daughter, too. I hear she's very chicken-like.

April said...

Believe it or not..I have pictures of racoon and coyote scat..and some of my GSs have a handmade book of scat they've found and drawn a picture of then written useful info. next to their drawings. Racoons, skunks and other smaller animals will might eat bugs..coyotes will only eat big bugs if they are really hungry.

Are the cats locked in the barn all the time at night? If there isn't enough prey they will probably come to your house looking for stuff to eat..maybe at the garden looking for rabbits or small deer.

I can certainly send you a picture of the scat we found while camping. If you want.

Mosaics said...

GSs drawing pictures of poop? What's the world coming to? heh.

April said...

Hey, you NEVER know when you'll be out in the woods and need to know what is tracking YOU..or better yet..if you're living on a farm and something is coming close to your house and you're not sure if its friendly..it helps to KNOW what it poops..LOL