Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bird's Nest






A bird has built its nest on the back side of the light by the front door. It's a picture perfect little nest, daubed on with mud and covered with mossy bits. I peeked in the nest today while mom was away and there are four little eggs in it about the size of small grapes.




We dragged Kip out of the barn today and put him in the small pasture with Hyacinth. He had been in the barn for about 10 days and did not want to come out. He behaved well after we got him over the threshold of the stall. For some reason it freaks him out. However, it did not go well with Hyacinth. Even though she could go in and out of his stall without incident and didn't seem to be afraid of him and he wasn't disturbed by him, Kip ended up chasing her all over the pasture. I was afraid he was going to hurt her, so I took her out and put her in with the other goats. Not sure what I'm going to do about the donkey chasing problem. I need to do some research on it.




I'm thinking about training Kip further - possibly to carry a pack or pull a cart...maybe even to ride him. Pack first, I think.




Tom has been working on the chicken yard. It is enclosed all around, but doesn't have a top on it. We let the chickens out all day in the yard anyway. I can't be sure (because chickens are impossible to count), but I don't think we lost any to airborne predators.

3 comments:

Meagan said...

Don't you remember how they said they introduce new things to the donkeys by putting them in the pasture beside? Keep the goats in the little run thing.

April said...

watch those chicken hawks!

Mosaics said...

Well, Kip was in the barn with the goats for 10 days and he saw Hyacinth lots of times up close and personal. They're now in adjoining pastures.

Dad and I were laughing about the donkeys tonight. So much for "guard donkeys". We have "attack donkeys" instead.