Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, June 28, 2013

Bean Pickin' Made Pleasant

I was right that if bean picking was made a little more pleasant that I would keep up with it better.  Picking about every other day seems to be about the right schedule to catch the beans before they get too stringy.

The trellises are just about all grown over now and make a quiet, secluded little tunnel.  I can go in there and feel like I'm in another world, quiet and cool, and the beans are easy to reach.  I pick from inside the tunnel and then go around the outside of it and there's not much bending and stooping.

As you can see, the top is almost solid leaves.

Each of these little blossoms turns into a bean.

I can' let them get much bigger than this because they get too tough and stringy.  I've learned that when I snap them, if there is a string, I might as well just throw it out because I really do not like to eat stringy beans.  I guess I should find a different heirloom bean that doesn't have strings.

I'm not the only one who likes this quiet spot.  A bird has built its nest of sticks right there.  I haven't seen the bird yet, so I don't know what kind it is.

And Jasper likes to come hang out with me while I work in the garden.  She really is a pest, but I can't blame her for wanting to be in here.

No comments: