Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Venus, Mars, and Fairies

One of the differences between Venus and Mars is that Venus loves beauty.  Venus gets satisfaction from working to make something pleasing to the eye.  Mars gets satisfaction from hard labor, a job well done, or just a job done no matter what it looks like.  Sometimes Venus does something for the sole reason of being able to look at something pleasant.  And they say that Mars is visually stimulated...hmph. 

Tom is away on a business trip and here is how I have amused myself this first day.  First, since my potted petunias just don't want to grow and overflow their pot, I replaced them with a bougainvillea that most definitely is happy in it's pot. 
Now if I can just keep it alive.

And, a fairy's view of the herb garden.  I added a bit of thyme and some chives.  I couldn't resist a miniature lavender to add to my tall lavender.

On the right is the cilantro, which I need to harvest before it bolts.

A bird's eye view of the herb garden.  When I brought the tiny little clay pots out (right at the foot of the garden gate - not much bigger than a thimble) I set them down beside the garden tub and walked out to my vegetable garden to set some tomato plants down.  As soon as I turned my back, Harry snatched one of the pots and, presumably, ate it.  Why he would want to eat a tiny clay pot, I'll never know, but I'm pretty sure he did because I had three and when I got back, there were only two.  Harry was nearby and the pot didn't just blow away.  I hope it gives him constipation.

9 comments:

Meagan Claire said...

I'm so glad you got bougainvillea. I've seen it and wisteria in so many yards recently. Bougainvillea grows like an uncontrollable weed in Hawaii. I don't know why you'd have trouble keeping it alive, but it will probably outgrow that goat.

Meagan Claire said...

I also can't believe you turned your herb garden into a fairy garden.

Mosaics said...

Believe it and weep.

April said...

I think its completely adorable..where did you get those little things? I'm thinking I might turn my mini-garden by my front door into one.

Mosaics said...

There's a garden center in a nearby town that is big on fairy gardens. They have them all over their center - in bird baths, all shapes and kinds of tubs, just about any kind of container you can think of. So, naturally, they have all kinds of tiny gardening things. Anything you might find in a regular garden, they have for fairy gardens. You can't really see it, but there is a tiny little pitchfork leaning up against the garden gate.

I'm sure there are places in your area that have them, too, because fairy gardens are all the rage.

Unknown said...

Ohhhh, I just love your fairie garden!! That is soooo cute!!! And you can never go wrong with that Bougainvillea! I like it so much better than the petunias because the petunias bring those little white butterflies - and they bring on the worms that devour the petunias and anything else around!

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog. You might like my wifes blog. It's sort of on the same subjects. Google DAIRYDAZE will find it.

Unknown said...

I gotta make one of these for so I can put my Star Wars action figures in there.

Mosaics said...

Only if R2D2 is a fairy.