Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, April 23, 2010

Fun Plans Thwarted

My plan for yesterday was to plant a little garden with a water feature in the decorative well in the front yard.  I got all my supplies together, toted up the wheelbarrow from the barn to cart the dirt I would need and started arranging the water feature to be surrounded by the soil.  Then I noticed the ground beneath my feet wasn't quite right and there appeared to be a hole next to the well wall.  So, I moved a big handfull of dirt and found this gaping hole.
About two feet of the ground around the visible hole is spongy and is just being held in place by roots.  It can easily be pulled away or, if stepped on, would cave right in.  At first, I thought it was a hole dug by some animal, or maybe Harry had tried to dig out a mole, but when a bit of dirt fell down, I heard tiny splashes of water.  So I tossed a rock down there and heard a big splash.  Definitely not a mole hole.

We had previously speculated as to whether this well was the original well on the property.  I confirmed that it was, indeed, at one time a working well when I shone a light down into the hole.  Directly underneath that round brick structure, which is capped by a slab of concrete, is a large cavern with pipes coming up out of the middle of it and water at the bottom of it.  It is quite scary.  An adult person would be able to fit through that hole.  I told Tom that if he can't find me when he gets home, to look under the well 'cause I might have fallen in.

9 comments:

April said...

YIKES! What will you do now? Seems like you'd want to fix it and might actually try to use it at some point?

Mosaics said...

I imagine that it was capped off at some point because it was inadequate (maybe not deep enough) for the needs of the property. Or maybe it was just too close to the building site when they built this house. We're going to have to fill it up somehow. Hopefully, it can be done without destroying the structure.

MIKE said...

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your
interview
.

Best regards,

Mike Thomas

April said...

I'd hate to see ya'll close it up..you never know when you would need it. I wonder if there is any way to fix the ground around it and make it useable?

Geoff W said...

Hi, like the well. Id be made up with that as a n easy supply of water for the garden.

Like the blog

Mosaics said...

Our working well supplies water to the whole property, so we don't need this capped off well. A well guy is coming to look at it this afternoon to advise us on the best course of action. It really is too close to the house. It could cause our foundation to wash away.

Unknown said...

Sweetie, that was just a really close call. Looks like you've got angels watching over you, for sure! Gosh, I wish y'all the best of luck. Hope you're able to get the issue resolved quickly - but most importantly - in a totally safe manner.

Mosaics said...

The well guy came to check it out. He knows exactly what to do and, weather permitting, he'll be back on Friday for the big dig. He thinks it's about 40 feet deep and needs to be filled with some kind of clay that expands to fill the hole. And, he plans to do it without destroying my cute little well structure so I can have my little pond in it. Yay!

April said...

Once again, I hate to see it filled. I guess I wince when I think about limiting your supply of water that close to the house..but you gotta do whats best!