Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Garden 2010

Maybe I'm just expecting too much too soon, but my garden seems to be hobbling along this year.  I just planted tomato plants last week and one of them has already died.  So far, moles have killed two of the five broccoli plants that grew.  One or two of the plants died right away.  I noticed tiny sprigs of carrot coming up just when I had decided that the carrots weren't going to come up at all. 

When I was lamenting my lack of carrots to some other gardeners that we had just met, they told me that carrots don't grow here.  Hmm.  Tell that to my first season of carrots.  Granted, I haven't been able to grow them since the first time, but I did have a pretty good crop of them.  There are pictures on my blog to prove it.


This is a row of red cabbage and green cabbage.  Several of them died after I planted them, but we don't eat a lot of cabbage, so I guess I don't mind so much.  I would have liked to have more to give away, though.


This is the broccoli that I have left, except the plant in the lower left corner was taken out by a mole.


I decided to plant my herbs in a tub this year because of the invasive nature of some herbs.  Besides, it's nice to have it closer to the house so I can just run out and pick some while cooking.  I've got oregano, rosemary, sage, lavender, mint, dill, cilantro, and basil.  Maybe I'll make a little fairy garden in there.

3 comments:

April said...

I would think garden seasons would vary? I like the tub idea..also keeps the moles from taking the plants.

What is a fairy garden?

Mosaics said...

Fairy gardens seem to be popular these days - probably a way for garden stores to make money, but they are cute. It's kind of like a doll house garden - miniature everything among the plants. Except dolls, of course, because it's for the fairies.

Mosaics said...

Hmm, seems I was mistaken. I googled "fairy gardens" and saw that people do, indeed, put little fairy statuettes in their gardens. I don't know, that might be a little too hokey for me.