Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Thursday, June 05, 2014

The Birthing Center

Momma guinea has been sitting on her eggs, about 22 of them if I counted correctly, for a long time now.  She started at the beginning of May and the normal incubation time is 26-28 days.  I've been taking a peek at her every day to see if there's any action.  Today is the day!

Dad is in the waiting room pacing back and forth.  I'm not making this up, people.

There's a cracked egg and the little puff next to it is the keat that just came out of it.

The tiny little puff next to the mom is one of the fully hatched keats.  Cute little puff.

She's sitting in this alley between pastures where the goats want to graze.  If they get too near, she yells at them, so they keep a wide berth (pun intended).  See how they are all lined up against the fence.  They're trying to pass her and get to me at the end of the alley.  The goat on the right is having a look at whatever is in the grass screaming at her.

Momma guinea must be pretty intimidating for those goats to plaster themselves up against the fence as they go by her.  I don't think I'll have to worry about the keats getting trampled.

What I will have to worry about is Harry and Ginger eating them like chicken nuggets when the momma decides it's time to move them.  I'll have to be pretty vigilant so that when she's on the move, I can get the babies to a safe place.

Who wants some guineas?


No comments: