Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Guinea Run

I got the guineas for the purpose of keeping squash bugs out of the garden.  The problem is, I can't say that I ever actually see them in the garden.  I put their coop right next to the garden, so even though they never stay in it anymore, it is their home base.  The came back to it throughout the day for water or for a little chicken scratch that I put in there occasionally.  They also roost in the trees above the coop.  But, if they go into the garden, I don't see it.

They, along with the chickens, keep the rest of the property bug free.  I wonder, though, if we will somehow suffer for lack of beneficial bugs.

The guineas often chase each, at top speed.  These three decided to do a little chase around the garden pasture.

They ran here.

And there.

And 'round and 'round.

A fourth one decided to join in on one of the rounds.  I think it's the males chasing the males to prove their manliness to the ladies.  I suspect the ladies were just thinking, "What are those idiots doing?"

Anyway, the good news is that even though I have not seen the guineas in the garden very much, they must be making a regular pass through there.  I haven't seen one squash bug yet this season.  I suppose it could be that it's just too soon, but I'm hoping it's because the guineas are doing their job.  I've found plenty of potato beetles on the eggplant bushes, but not one little orange potato beetle larva.  I'm guessing that they like the larva, but not the adult beetle.

No comments: