Anyway, I chose chèvre for today's cheese. It is a french-style soft cheese.
Once again, I started out with fresh whole milk in the vat, five quarts this time, and warmed it to 80 degrees. I sprinkled DVI Chèvre Culture over the warmed milk and stirred. Then I added diluted rennet and stirred again. Then, as per the instructions, I put the lid on and left it undisturbed for eight hours.
It was pretty quick and simple.
This is what it looked like after eight hours. I didn't dare even lift the lid or jostle it during that time period for fear of messing something up. So, I was excited to see if it had done anything, and it had! I was happy to see that it was a large solid mass. I tilted the pan for the picture to show how it pulls away from the edge en masse. There was a film of whey over the top.
Then I poured it into a cheesecloth lined colander to let it drain. After a large portion of whey had drained out...
I pulled up the edges of the cheesecloth and tied them so that I could hang it to drain more. My banana hanger worked pretty good for this part. I had to empty the blue bowl several times.
After about six hours of draining, the cheese had taken on the contours of the cheesecloth. It looked sort of like a pumpkin. I divided it into containers and put it in the refrigerator. I'll do an internet search for a good recipe to season it.
I was very happy with how it turned out. Hopefully, it will taste as good as it looks.