Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Sunday, March 02, 2014

Broody Hen

My Copper Maran hen (at least, I think that's what she is.  She accidentally got thrown in with a group of Black Astralorp chicks last summer) appears to be broody.  She's been sitting on a nest for three days.  I decided to slip a few eggs under her yesterday.  She tried to peck me, but didn't jump out and go running off in a huff.  That's a pretty good sign.


Daughter-in-law has been thinking about trying to raise some chicks, so she might move this hen and her eggs into a separate cage and take over her care.

Unfortunately, I lost one of my hens this week.  She was my one and only Blue Andalusian (such a pretty chicken) and I hated that I lost her.  Coyote must have snuck up and took her because she has disappeared without a trace.  I'm especially bummed because she had just become of age to lay eggs.


No comments: