Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New Gardening Plan

Since my gardening success has gone downhill each year, I decided to change things up a bit this year.  First of all, I'm planting on the Farmer's Almanac schedule.  I've been told that it really makes a difference.  Unfortunately, I got started too late to get some of my own seeds started and will have to buy things like tomatoes and pepper plants again this year, but next year since my greenhouse is up, I hope to be able to start my own veggie seeds early and have them ready to go in the ground when it's time.  I'm using the Farmer's Almanac website for dates.  You can just plug in your zip code and the site will come up with the suggested planting dates for your area. 

http://www.almanac.com/gardening

I'm also starting a four year crop rotation plan.  I'll already was rotating crops pretty much by accident just because I was so haphazard, but now I actually have a plan.  I found a website for crop rotation, too, and have made my plan according to that.

http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetable/crop-rotation/index.php


So, I have a few things in the ground.


And a few things in the greenhouse.  These are all flowers.  The big pots hold cannas that I had Tom dig up and I divided them.  I'll give most of these away or maybe I can sell some.  I have a lot more to plant but am running out of pots.


This is crazy chicken.  She started out a couple of weeks ago acting crazy and running around really fast.  Since then, she refuses to come in with the other chickens and she hangs out in and around the barn most of the time. Usually, she'll show up at the coop around dark and we'll let her in, but on the nights that we don't see her out there, she gets left out all night.  I suppose she'll be dinner for a coyote one of these days, but I'm not going to spend my time chasing a crazy chicken around.


Tom finished the repairs on the pie safe linen cabinet for the bathroom.  He put the new screen in and built shelves for it.


I covered the shelves with fabric and it's ready for new fluffy white towels.


No comments: