Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, March 04, 2011

Goats and Greenhouse

I thought for sure that Hyacinth was in labor on Tuesday.  She laid on the ground sprawled out like this and moaning.  I thought I was going to get to witness the birth, so I watched and waited.  After about 20 minutes, she got up and mosied on out to graze. 

Daisy has finally gotten into the groove of our goat walk to and from the barn each day.  Up until now, I had to coax, herd, push and shove, and use the baby as bait to get her to walk with us.  Today, she came out of the stall willingly and walked along with us without hesitation.


We're missing Pansy on the goat walk this year.  I decided that she should stay in the pasture full time.  It's so difficult to clean up the stalls each day when there are so many goats in the barn.  So, unless we have really bad weather when babies are born, I plan to bring just the Nubians into the barn.  The downside to that is that Pansy's kids are very skittish and not used to being handled.


Tom finished the greenhouse.  The frame was given to us, we used the old dining room doors for the entry, and the front and back walls were made using some old siding we took off of the house during the remodel.  We butted it up against the garden shed, so that I can walk directly from one to the other, but I'm wondering if that was such a good idea because of the heat.  I guess I'll find out this summer.


I laid the black landscaping cloth, finishing it up yesterday except for a spot right in front of the door that needs to be scraped down.  We had those three mats that we used to use so that our office chairs would roll on the carpet.  I thought they might be useful to protect the landscaping cloth from tears.  I don't know if that is a concern or not, but I guess it can't hurt.  I hope to get some seeds started soon, although it's almost warm enough to go ahead and plant them in the ground now.

No comments: