Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Monday, March 22, 2010

What Are They Worth

This is Hyacinth goat and her offspring from last year, Rosie goat.  Now, Rosie is a little over a year old.  She should be about as big as her mom.  But if you were reading last year, you'd know that we almost lost Rose due to a series of unfortunate events.  She recovered, but it seems that she is now destined to be a miniature.  I don't know if she'll ever be good for breeding or milking. 

Speaking of milking, take a look at that udder on Hyacinth.  You'd think that udder was just brimming full of yummy milk.  Apparently, it is not.  Or, if it is, it is stubbornly staying put.  I went out on Friday morning to milk Hyacinth for the first time this season.  All this time, I thought that her udder was so big and full because it was...well, FULL.  That udder is as hard as a basketball and I barely got a few ounces out.

I was so excited about getting lots of milk this year because her udder seemed to have recovered from the sad state it was in last year and this time she only has one baby to feed.  So, my first thought when I felt that udder was, "Uh, oh, mastitis again!"  But the milk that I got was white and creamy.  No pink tinge to indicate blood.  She's not off her feed.  Her baby is thriving  So what's the deal? 

As usual, I did an internet search and the only thing I can come up with is "congested udder" and the remedy was massage and milk, massage and milk.  I did that for a while, but it didn't seem to make a difference.  I got less and less milk and I'm concerned about taking the little milk that she does produce away from the baby.  So, I decided to just let it be for a while and see if it works itself out.  It doesn't seem to bother her.

Now I'm wondering if it's even worth keeping Hyacinth.  This is the second year that she hasn't produced enough milk to make it worth the effort of milking her.  And besides that, she's a kicky milker, always trying to kick my hands away and jumping around on the milking stand.  Bah!  What a pain.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've sent the link for your post to a fellow blogger with 4-H background. She's also buried in goats at the moment. Babies galore. LOL Hope she's able to help!

Tonia said...

Hi I am the friend Weldrbrat mentioned above..
That hardness can be taken care of.. The massage and milking does help but add a little peppermint Essential oil to help break it up and one thing me and another friend have found is VIt.C.. I Have Pat Coleby's book on Natural Goat care. She recommeneds the VitC. I have been feeding the chewables to my girls because of engorgement due to baby time and all the milk coming in. But my friend had a doe that had a hardened udder no mastitis and no funny milk. Since she has been feeding the VitC it has softened considerably already after a weeks worth of treatment. She will keep it up till the udder is back to normal.
She may also be kicky because it could be sore because of the hardness.
For the one not growing well there is Calf Manna from Manna pro that you add just a little to her grain rationa dn it helps some of those that are struggling like that. I use it to rehabilitate my animals that were sick or having other problems.
I hope this helps you! They are pretty goats for sure! Nubians are my First Favorite! With Lamanchas being close behind and I have also raised Boers..

Mosaics said...

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.