Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

What IS This?




Now that I see it in a picture, I'm pretty sure it's a young coyote. Tom saw it in the field as he was cutting the hay and called to tell me to bring the 22. It was about the size of a fox, but didn't have a fox-like tail. It's too little to be an adult coyote, but didn't have any puppy-like qualities other than it seemed totally unaware that it should run and hide. It didn't run until Harry went after it. In fact, it barely acknowledged our presence and we were pretty close to it. Whatever it was, it was extremely thin and up close it was almost hairless looking. Quite ugly, but that didn't ease my suffering over Tom shooting it. I stood nearby for a long time watching it to make sure it was dead and not suffering...until Tom told me to come away from it.




Coincidental that this happened today, because last night I watched a program called Obsessed. It was about people with OCD and featured one woman who was obsessed with animal's suffering - abused, abandoned at the pound, lost, etc. I'm not sure how it affected her life (I started watching about midway through the program), but as she described her feelings, I knew exactly how she felt because I feel it, too. She kept crying, "Look at their faces!" and I was thinking, "I KNOW!"


2 comments:

Meagan said...

Mom, it's totally the cupacabra. Let it go.

April said...

Well, that's life in the country. The fact that it was extremely skinny, didn't have much hair and wasn't afraid of you indicates to me that it was probably starving and could have become dangerous. It was good that Tom put it out if its misery. Also, when its so hot like this..cases of Rabies tend to be worse..so you need to be really careful.