Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, July 17, 2009

Zucchini-chini-bo-bini




My new plan is to make loads of zucchini bread. I've got way more zucchini than Tom and I could ever eat. I've given some away. Often the zucchini escapes my attention until it's gigantic and, I hear, not very good to eat. So I'm grating it up and making bread with it. What I can't use right away, I've frozen. So far, I made chocolate chip zucchini bread which is absolutely divine. I can hardly stop eating it, so I gave away two mini loaves and froze the big one. Today I'm making blueberry zucchini bread ...and zucchini puffs for dinner.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread (adapted from a recipe on allrecipes.com):
3 cups all purpose flour*
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum*
3 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (I used olive just because that's what I have)
2 cups grate zucchini
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans (I used one 9x5 and a 4 mini loaf pan).
Beat together eggs, sugar, and oil. Blend in the grated zucchini and then the sour cream. Mix in the flour, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon. Stir in the chocolate. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake for 70-80 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
* Because I bake everything gluten free, in place of the all purpose flour made from wheat, I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free flour and xanthan gum.

2 comments:

April said...

me-my-momini..zucchini..lol it sound good! that xanthan gum is expense, what does it take the place of?

Mosaics said...

Yeah, the xanthan gum is expensive, but it lasts a long time. It think I've used only one whole pkg. since I started cooking GF. I'm on my second pkg. which was given to me by another woman. It gives the batter more elasticity or stickiness so that it holds together better and the bread doesn't crumble as much.