Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, July 10, 2009

Twenty-two Reds?


So, today was day two of free ranging. Tom let's Harry out of barn, chickens out of coop and leaves to go to a property tax hearing.


I look out the window and see Harry dashing around chasing a chicken. I put on my shoes and run outside, "HARRY! NO!" and hang around telling Harry "no" for another 15 minutes. He finally gets bored and goes away to chew something. So I go to work in the garden and Harry follows. He hangs around for a while and then leaves. I wonder what he's up to, but I'd never get anything done if I'm constantly checking on Harry.


So when I get done weeding the garden (with Paden's help) and drive the cart around to the back of the house, I see Harry pouncing on a chicken laying on the ground. I go get him and see that the chicken is laying there with no visible signs of life - limp, eyes staring sightlessly - really, very dead looking. So I take Harry away and tie him up.


When Tom gets home, I tell him the sad news, "Harry has killed a chicken." Tom goes out to check and lo and behold, the chicken lives. Tom puts it in the isolation cage. Personally, I think it should be put out of it's misery, but then, I thought he should have put the broken legged chicken out of it's misery, but he has recovered.


**sigh***

No comments: