Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, February 06, 2009

So Far, So Good







Tom and I went to bed around 10:00 last night after dealing with the babies all evening. Then we got up at midnight to go check on them, expecting to have to hold Hyacinth still so they could nurse. We crept quietly into the barn, peeked over the stall door and saw that one of the babies was nursing on it's own and that momma was standing still. We decided that we'd leave well enough alone - after all, God created them to do that kind of thing without our "help". So we went back to bed.




I've had what I think is an awful reaction to my tetanus shot - terrible nausea, chills while feeling hot, and horrible aches and pains. My whole body hurts, even my skin. I've diagnosed myself with the aid of google, but I could be wrong and actually have the flu. I haven't had the flu since...well, I can't remember the last time. Anyway, I'm so glad that Hyacinth has taken to her mommy duties. Tom and I went out to the barn to check on her around 7:00 this morning and both babies were nursing on their own. Thank goodness. I don't think I could handle this situation feeling like I do. I could barely drag myself out to the barn and have spent a good deal of the day laying on the bed fretting about all the things I had planned to do today.




I called the vet this morning to ask about the one baby's ankle. He told me to splint it with a piece of PVC pipe, leave it on for 24 hours, then take it off. Since we had already splinted it with a toilet paper roll, and it was holding up good (she was able to walk on it this morning), we just left it on and will take it off tonight and see how she does.

No comments: