Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Got Milk?

Hmmm, I think milking is a bust this season. There is so much that we don't know.

It's been hard to get more than a few ounces out of Hyacinth. In my reading on goat websites yesterday, one of the dairy owners said that she doesn't even bother to milk her first time "fresheners" (to freshen is to have a kid and start producing milk) because they often only produce enough to feed their kids. She waits until their second or third freshening. Then she can usually get up to a gallon a day from the good milk producers.

So, I should have gotten a doe that has had kids before if I wanted milk this season, which I did. I'm wondering if after the kids are weaned, I can continue to milk a little from her until it's time to dry her off?

Also discovered that you cannot stagger the does so that you have one in milk all year. They are seasonal breeders, so after they are bred, you have to stop milking them until after their kids are born. Basically, there is no milk production during the winter. Which is a good thing, actually, because who wants to get up on freezing cold winter mornings to go milk goats? Not me. Also, the milk can be frozen up to a year, so it is possible to store up milk for the winter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, atleast you'll get to enjoy sleeping in abit until the next set of babies. You're not a big milk drinker anyway so you'll just need it to cook with.

I'm excited the other goat hasn't had her baby yet. I'm hoping she has it before we come so the girls can see little babies. Leah is determined to have one fall asleep on her lap.

Mosaics said...

I was just checking Pansy. She looks like she's gonna kid any minute. I'll ask her to hold off for another month. lol

Anonymous said...

Not another month..just 1 more week! Tell her I'll throw in some extra treats for her if she can hold off just one more week.

You know, I got to thinking..have you ever 'helped' birth a baby? You better google that too! Or you could just run around in circles and say "I don't know nuffin 'bout birthin' babies" LOL

April

Mosaics said...

I haven't helped, but I've read about it, not that it will make me of any use should the need arise.

Terra said...

my mom has some interesting stores in helping momma horses foal.

Mosaics said...

If they involve very long rubber gloves and gooey stuff, I don't want to hear them. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've seen rubber gloves, gooey stuff..and chains on cows..not nice to hear and definitely not pretty to see YUK!

April