Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Saturday, July 20, 2024

Laundry Room Redo #4



 Oops, I forgot to take pictures of steps along the way. But it's boring anyway. I primed the crown and painted the room Sherwin Williams Really Teal. The most fun and most satisfying part was putting the wallpaper in. I used peel and stick from Lowes. I ain't gonna lie, it was not easy. I still had to size the area because it was drywall. Our small town was pretty much lacking in sizing products. And I didn't know anything about sizing, except that I needed it. I ended up finding one sad little box of Zinsser powdered wallpaper paste/wall sizing in an old small-town hardware store. Even the staff there didn't know they had it or what it was. The box had been opened and then taped shut. But I didn't care. I wanted my wallpaper on and I wanted it on now. 

The package says "easy to mix", but it was nearly impossible to mix. At first, I just put the powder in a bowl and added the water like the instructions say. But I quickly saw that was not going to work. It was like making a roux or gravy and just dumping the milk into the flour/butter mixture. Lumps galore. So I tried mixing it with my blender. Still didn't work. I decided to start over and add the water a bit at a time, like you would for a roux. But that didn't work either. I finally just stuck my hands in there and smashed the lumps the best I could through a sieve. I did finally get it smooth enough to use. The instructions also say to apply with a roller. What a mess that was. It was so runny, it was like just rolling on water. Drips everywhere.

I waited until the next day to start applying the wall paper.


Myy first piece ended up perfect.


Second piece and little corner piece turned out pretty good, too.


This corner was a bear. The ceiling has some old damage on it that made the wallpaper bunch up. But I soldiered on and, while not perfect, it still looks good. And, who's gonna be looking up in that corner anyway?


Husband helped me install the very heavy solid walnut shelf above the cabinet. I was able to store a bunch of jars on it that were taking up cabinet space.

The cabinet is an old pie safe, probably from the late 1800's/early 1900's. It's pretty rustic. But perfect for the room.

Next up, the pull-down closet rod above the dryer.



Now I have the dreary task of painting the cabinet doors. I'm trying to decide if I should completely strip them of the oil-based paint, or sand, prime and paint. I'm leaning towards stripping. I think they'll look better in the end.




No comments: