Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Laundry Room Redo #2

 I've been hard at work. 

It always gets worse before it gets better. I've sanded and primed everything with this grey Zinser Bull's Eye primer. Don't believe it when they tell you it makes latex stick to oil paint. I sanded the cabinets and washed them with TSP. But still the primer will just scratch off. I don't know what to do about that.

Grey primer on walls as well. I figured the dark teal paint that I've chosen will go better over a darker primer instead of painting over antique white.

I'll be leaving the door off of this cabinet and it will be open shelving. I didn't want it to look unfinished and to see all the junk on the other side. So I used a closet shelf that I took out of one of my reorganized closets, and happened to be exactly the depth that I needed. I cut it in two pieces and used it it as a new shelf wall. I'll prime and paint those, too. Just learning how to use husband's saw was a chore. He ended up cutting it for me. I guess he's afraid I'll cut my hand off or something.


So, today I thought I'd learn to cut crown moulding. Ha. It's so tricky. Who ever figured out how to do it is a genius. I've watched multiple videos trying to learn how. You've heard "measure twice, cut once". Well, try "measure 15 times, flip the moulding over 10 times, readjust miter saw 6 times. Cut moulding and still get it wrong.


It's hard to tell, but this was my first attempt. It was a hair long, so I took it back to the saw and shaved a bit off the end. I was pleased with the outcome and it fit well. But after I cut the inside corner for the next piece, they didn't fit well together. I finally figured out that the corner is not exactly square. So at this point, I am frustrated and need a break. I'll need to figure out how to adjust the miter just a tiny bit so that the corners fit together.


Oh, hullo, peel and stick wallpaper. Just arrived in mail today. I love it. Guess where it's going to go?




No comments: