Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, July 05, 2024

Laundry Room Redo #3

I finished up the crown moulding this morning. There was just this piece and one other left to do. But it took all morning. To avoid going and buying two more pieces of moulding, I had to make what was called a scarf joint. I watched a few YouTube videos to figure it out.


First of all, on this piece, the left side has an angle in the wall that is approximately 16 degrees. I made no less than ten trips down to the barn to make just the right sample cut so that the moulding would fit together at that angle in the wall. It turned out that a 13 degree cut is what was needed to match up with the 16 degree cut that I had already cut and installed yesterday. 


This is the 16 plus 13 degree angle cut. Don't ask me why this worked. It just did. The ceiling has some old damage there on the left, which threw the moulding out of whack a little bit. Nothing a little caulking won't fix. I added a little shim on the top to keep it from shifting when I nailed it on.


Then I had to make the scarf joint cuts, which was both pieces cut at a 22.5 degree angle. That wasn't very hard. It's a thing of beauty when it turns out perfectly. Then I had to make the 45 degree cut for the right side corner. 
 

The moulding at the top of this cabinet was the very last piece to install. It had a 45 degree angle inside corner on the left, a scarf joint to the left of center, and a 45 degree angle outside corner on the right. The inside corner was a little tricky. It wasn't fitting just right, so I pushed the saw a little further than the 45 degree mark and that was the sweet spot for this cut. The outside corner was a perfect 45 degree cut. Figures...it was my very last piece.

Then it was time to caulk. Everything is done and it's ready to be primed.

Yay!






No comments: