Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Thursday, August 13, 2015

What Is This Squash?

Someone gave me these seeds and I seem to remember them saying they were some kind of squash.  The leaves are big and look like something between a butternut squash and pumpkin vine.  They were sort of the shape of butternut when they started growing, but then morphed into this.  Does anyone know what it is?

This one is very curved at the top.  It's the biggest one and is starting to get soft enough so that I can feel it give a little when I squeeze it, sort of the texture of a zucchini.

Most of them are shaped more like this.  This one is still hard.

They look small in the picture, but they're probably about 10 inches long.  I thought it might even be a gourd, but they're pretty heavy and fleshy.  Aren't gourds hollow?

Who knows what it is?

Update:  I've been searching on the internet and think I might have found it - Green Striped Cushaw Squash.  If so, it's really considered a pumpkin and can weigh 10-20 lbs.  Oops, I probably shouldn't have put it on a trellis.

No comments: