Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Monday, August 17, 2015

Canteloupe Popsicles

It's cantaloupe season and, although I didn't get many of my own (due to all but one vine dying), my sister-in-law got loads of them and is sharing them with me.  To use up them up, she has been making cantaloupe popsicles, so I thought I'd give it try myself.

I searched the net for some guidelines on making them, then devised my own recipe.  I guess you really can't go wrong even if you just blend up the cantaloupe without adding anything to it and freeze the juice.  But I wanted a little pizzaz, and of course, I have to add something fattening to them, else what's the use?  I experimented with two recipes and found that this first one is my favorite.

Crummy (Creamy + Rummy) Canteloupe Popsicles

1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup mint leaves, crushed
1 tsp. lime juice (or zest of one lime
1 large canteloupe
2 Tbs. white rum
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Make a simple syrup by combining water and sugar and boiling until sugar is completely dissolved.  Remove from heat and stir in mint leaves and lime (or lime zest); let steep for about 30 minutes, then strain into a bowl and discard solids.

While syrup is steeping, peel cantaloupe, discard seeds, cut the fruit into chunks, then puree in food processor or blender.  Add rum and cream, then add the syrup and process a few seconds.

Pour into popsicle molds and freeze.

Second recipe is from Martha Stewarts website and is actually a honeydew recipe.  I just substituted cantaloupe for honeydew...

Canteloupe Pistachio Popsicles

1 Canteloupe, seeded, peeled, cut into chunks
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup roasted, salted pistachios, coarsely chopped.

Put all ingredients into food processor or blender and puree.  Pour into molds and freeze.

I only had one set of Tupperware popsicle molds, so I had to branch out and find other things that would be appropriate for popsicle molds - a good size and easy to get the popsicle out once it's frozen.

I had several ice trays that make shaped cubes that I used first.  Then I used my tiny tupperware food storage containers (I have four vintage ones and four modern ones).  After I ran out of those and still have loads of popsicle "batter" to use, I decided to use these little paper Dixie cups that I keep for  use during milking season.  I let them freeze to a slush, then stuck the sticks in them.

Really, the Dixie cups worked better than anything.  I only had to run warm water over the outside for literally three seconds and they slid right out.

After they were all frozen good and solid, I put the ones that were frozen in the ice cube trays in a baggie and the other ones that were frozen in the cups, I took out of their molds and wrapped in plastic wrap.






No comments: