Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Thursday, January 02, 2014

Vardo, Part Two

While I'm waiting for Lowes to ship the wallpaper that I ordered (weeks ago, grrr) for the walls of the slide out, I decided to go ahead and do the ceiling with a paintable vinyl wallpaper embossed with a tin ceiling tile pattern.  It was on the shelf at Lowes and I just had to buy one roll.

This is what the ceiling looked like before I started.  In the past, I've been very anti-wallpaper.  I never wanted it in my house and never, ever wanted to install it.  Bleh.  But, it seems the cheapest, easiest way to go in the trailer, and cheaper than buying actual ceiling tiles.  So, for my first wallpaper job ever, I'm doing a ceiling.

The area is thirteen by three feet, so I decided to install the paper in the direction of the short side, cutting several strips of three foot long wallpaper.  I used my rotary cutter using the cutting mat as a straight edge.  It worked great.

Zip, zip.

Even though this paper was pre pasted, I bought a tub of vinyl to vinyl paste and brushed it on with a paintbrush.  It really was very easy and I have a ton of it left, so I'll be able to do the whole Vardo project without having to buy more.

My first strip!


And the finished install.

A few days later, when I was sure the paper wasn't going to fall off the ceiling, I painted it a dark grey.  

I really liked how it looked with just the one coat of paint, but I thought I might be able to get a more aged look and more depth if I added a lighter grey on top.  I used a sponge and just lightly swiped over the paper.

So, it's finished except that I might add a light coating of metallic paint.  

No comments: