Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, April 12, 2013

Kid Tattoos

It's that time of year again.  I wrote about this once before
but it becomes more ridiculous and onerous every year.
The tattooing of the kids to be registered.

Maybe it makes sense to serious breeders, but it still makes no sense to me.  Although, I'm pretty sure that in just a matter of months, the tattoos will not be visible, I do it so that I can truthfully say that it was done and I can put their tattoo on the registration papers.

I use two pliers, one with our herd name for the right ear and the other with the ADGA preferred letter and the birth order of the goat in the left ear, using black ink on a dark grey ear.  I tried white ink one year, but I don't think it showed up any better.

The piercers.

The tattooing went smoother last year and this year because Nephew Jordan was here to help.  Tom held the kid, while Jordan and I each took an ear.

Even though it goes pretty smoothly (Jordan and I say, "ready, go!" and squeeze our pliers at the same time so it's all over with at the same time), my hands still shake from the stress of inflicting that pain.

We try to make it as quick and easy for the kids as possible, but they yell and thrash anyway.  I don't blame them.

No comments: