Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

More Squash Bug Damage

I think I've mentioned fighting the squash bugs all season.  It has sort of  been a losing battle.  I've only managed to keep them from completely destroying all of the vines like they did last year.  But, every morning, when I go out to search them out, I still find them - fewer, but still eggs on the leaves, nymphs, and adults crawling around sucking the life out of the vines.

I smash everything I find.

These are the pumpkin vines damaged by the bugs.  The whole area was full and lush and full of pumpkins.  I was able to pick several before the bugs managed to kill off over half the vines.  It's still blooming and still putting on some small pumpkins, but I can't imagine that it will last much longer.

I really need to find a good preventative.  That will be next season's task.

We can't complain too much because we've had a fairly mild summer here in east Texas, especially compared to last year.  But we've had temps in the 100's for the past week with no end in sight and it's taking it's toll on the grass, hay, flowers, and trees that are already stressed from the drought.  We've also had no rain for several weeks, which isn't helping.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

This WORKS! Been using it on my chickens, too. And you can put it in dog beds to kill fleas!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/y-tex-reg-gardstar-reg-garden-poultry-dust-shaker-can-2-lb--2204294

Mosaics said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm trying to stay organic, but if I can't find anything else to get rid of the bugs, I might try that. Maybe if I use it before the plants start putting on fruit, I could kill the bugs before they can get started on reproducing and I won't have put poison on my veggies.