Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, April 13, 2012

A Bit of Country Garden

I'm slowly filling in my flower beds.  The Irises have bloomed wonderfully this year.


Three varieties of purple iris.


And a sort of golden brown one.


Birdhouse left by some owner long ago.  It used to be nailed to a tree, but was blown out by winds.  I screwed it to the top of the fence.


I bought this little copper bird feeder at Arbor Castle Birdhouses in Edom.  They have the most fabulous birdhouses and I'd love to have one, but they are more expensive than I can justify just to have something pretty to look at.  Have a look at them at http://www.arborcastlebirdhouses.com/


I had to move the fairy garden out of the herb tub last fall because the herbs had gotten so big, the fairy garden was obliterated.  I moved it into this old iron pot and now even the little plants are taking over.  I think the fairies are not doing their job, but this yellow sedum is very pretty.



2 comments:

April said...

whats the pipe in the middle for?

Mosaics said...

That pot doesn't have any drainage. I was told that if I put a pipe (or, for smaller containers, a straw) down in the pot like that, the extra water would be able to evaporate out and the soil wouldn't get too soggy. I guess it works, because those plants are doing very well. Ideally, the pipe would be level with the soil, but I was too lazy at the time to cut it off at the right height. That's a project for another day...some day.