Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, November 05, 2010

Garden Woes

I thought the garden was done for the season, but when I happened out there yesterday morning, I found that the bell peppers and jalapeno plants were so laden with peppers that the branches were breaking.  So I picked the biggest ones and have a dehydrator full of bell peppers now.  I dried jalapenos earlier this season, but I think I'm going to try to can this latest batch.  I could use a good recipe that doesn't include pressure cooking with the scary canner. 

And the tomatoes...

now they start producing.  These are the cherry tomatoes, growing like clusters of grapes, tons of them.  And the other tomatoes are producing, too.  Of course, none of them will ripen on the vine.  I've picked a bunch and have them ripening under newspaper. 

All summer...nothing, maybe three tomatoes that were edible.  I thought maybe my soil was lacking, but that can't be it if they'll produce now.  I need some help.  What am I doing wrong?  There were tons of blooms, but they hardly made any tomatoes.  The ones that did grow either had rotten spots (not blossom end rot), gouges, or splits in them.


And the green beans that actually did put on a bunch of little green beans that didn't grow for months, have now lost all their leaves, but have actual mature beans on them.  They're probably tough now.

Blah.


No comments: