Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Lots of Eggs

We're getting plenty of eggs now. We've been getting about four per day, but today we got seven. The fake eggs worked their magic and the chickens are all laying in the nesting boxes instead of on the floor. Yesterday, I saw one of the hens sitting on one of the fake eggs. She lifted up for a moment, reached under and turned the fake egg over and sat back down on it. So I guess she was trying to hatch it as her own. I read that when a chicken starts to brood (which, I think, means sitting on her eggs to hatch them), she will stop laying eggs. We don't want that to happen, so I removed all the fake eggs so as not to encourage brooding.

3 comments:

Meagan said...

But I want chicks!

April said...

That's lots more work..keeping them warm..keeping them from being killed by their own kind, Harry's kind and wild kind.

Mosaics said...

We'll hatch some later, maybe early next year.