Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Monday, June 01, 2009

Today's Projects




After mowing a couple of pastures and helping a friend load 90 bales of hay on his trailer, Tom put in a water line to the garden. Previously, the faucet was just outside the fence and we had to have hoses running across the field out to the garden. That causes problems for mowing since I'm known to mow over whatever is out there. Paden helped Tom dig the trench to lay the pipe. Some of the area had hard packed clay and rocks and was much more difficult to dig up than the ssand. About halfway through it I had the bright idea to bring the tiller out there to break up the ground so it would be easier to dig the trench. It worked, but the tiller gets away from the operator easily and Tom ended up breaking a piece of the fencing. So, the trade off for easy trench digging is fence repair.




I had an easier time of it today. I spent a couple of hours digging out bermuda grass and weeds from the garden and trying to recover from the setback the hairy vetch caused. Then I replanted some corn, squash, and cucumber. The rest of the day I spent doing mostly inside projects.




It's a chore keeping Harry out of the garden. He doesn't really do anything, but he's so big and floppy that he crushes plants wherever he goes. I ended up tying him to the golf cart while I worked because it's impossible to get anything done while constantly watching, yelling at, and chasing Harry. I'll be glad when he gets to big to squeeze under and through the fence.

2 comments:

April said...

Do you think he'll be able to jump the fence? Maybe if you put a electric fence around the garden? That's probably alot of work though. Does he go in the garden when you're not in there? Re-planting seems an awful waste of time..plus risky business

Mosaics said...

Oh, I didn't replant because of Harry. I replanted where seeds didn't sprout.

I doubt that Harry will be much of a jumper. He's not one to put much effort into anything. And, no, he doesn't go in the garden when nobody's out there.