Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, April 18, 2008

No Asbestos!

The house has popcorn textured ceilings that I want to remove. While researching on the internet the best way to do that, I discovered that houses built before 1978 sometimes had asbestos added to the popcorn texture. Our house was built in 1974. So, the question was, "Do we want to know? Do we want to live with the texture the way it is? Do we want to risk our lives removing it?"

If there was asbestos, to have it removed legally, we'd have to hire a HAZMAT team at great expense. Or we could scrape it off ourselves and hope not to kill over some day because we breathed in a piece of asbestos. Another option was to sheet rock over the existing ceiling...not such a great option.

We decided that it was best to find out for sure and then decide what to do from there. So I risked my life to scrape off a piece and send it to a lab to get tested. We've been waiting a week for the results to be sent to our attorney. I finally called the lab and they told me they had e-mailed the results on Monday (note to attorney...check your e-mail occasionally :) ). And they went ahead and told me that the texture is safe.

Yay! So now I get to scrape off approximately 2,800 square feet of ceiling texture. Anybody want to volunteer to help?

No comments: