Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Monday, June 17, 2019

Baaybee Skunk, Nuh-nuh, Nuh-nuh, Nuh Nuh

Hey, long time, no see.  This was too cute not to share.

It's that time of year again in which I walk the goats from the barn to the paddock in the morning and back again to the barn in the evening.  A couple of days ago, on our morning walk, I heard a funny little squawking noise in the tall hay grass off to the side of the path.  It sounded like a baby bird in distress.  I can't resist any baby in distress, so, of course, I stopped to check it out.

I followed the sound and the slight rustling in the grass until I came upon this...


Not a bird.

A baby skunk about the size of an eight week old kitten.  It's mother was nowhere in sight.  As I approached, it stomped it's tiny little front feet and sort of hissed at me.  It tried mightily to spray me, slinging it's little hind end up and over several times.  But, it was hindered by the grass, and I don't think it was old enough to spray anyway.

Adorable.  But, this was an animal that I could not help.  I checked on it again on my way back to the barn that morning and it was still alone.  But, we really don't want skunks hanging around.  They get in our barn and our garage and stink up the place.  So, good luck to the little guy, but he's on his own.

No comments: