Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Friday, July 14, 2017

Cherry Tomatoes Galore

I don't really know why, but I always plant one cherry tomato in my garden and have way more than I could ever use.  I accidentally bought two cherry tomato plants this year, so I am absolutely overrun with them.

This is harvest from two days.  I have too pick, at the very least, every other day, or they will start to go bad on the vine.

In the past years, I've just throw them out and it's such a waste, but since I discovered a couple of years ago that dehydrated tomatoes are so stinkin' delicious and useful, I decided I'd try to dehydrate the cherry tomatoes, too.  I wasn't disappointed, they are very good, if not a pain to cut up and dehydrate.  I mean, each tomato had to be cut into thin slices, about 1/4 of an inch thick.  So, that means each tiny tomato made about three to four slices.  Tedious, to say the least.

I was lamenting this to Husband and he suggested that I use my food processor.  I'll admit, that had crossed my mind, but I was picture a mushy mess.  After a few days of slicing each tomato individually, I decided to give it a try.  And, it worked wonderfully.  My Breville has a blade that can be adjusted for thickness.  So I packed up the chute with the tomatoes and whirled away.

At first, I thought it did turn them to mush.  But, when I opened it up, I found that there were just hundreds of perfectly sliced little disks.

All I had to do was take them out and place them on the dehydrator.

It's not fun (there isn't much about preserving food that is fun), but I'll be enjoying these little bits of deliciousness for the coming year, so I guess it's worth it.

No comments: