I found this coffee table at the flea market. Coincidentally, my son and daughter-in-law need a coffee table and I need a project.
It had this interesting pattern on the top that I thought might be fun to try to ceruse.
But, I couldn't find any liming wax locally.
And, daughter-in-law wanted a deep tufted upholstered top.
So, I stripped it down in preparation for painting it. I stripped it before I discovered the chalk paint, then wished I hadn't gone to all the trouble of stripping when I could have just painted over the finish that was on it.
So, painted the bottom, shellacked the top. Even though the top was destined for upholstery, I though it should have a finish on it. Just in case...whatever.
I thought I could simply drill holes in the top and tuft the foam and fabric right onto the table top, but I realized that wasn't going to be possible. There was no direct access to the actual top because of the box-like structure and the drawer. So, I tufted it on a piece of plywood first.
Then attached the plywood to the table top.
Then, uh-oh. I didn't think ahead when I was ordering the five inch thick foam. It made the coffee table ottoman way too tall!
Look at that! Giant ottoman.
Solution. New legs. Little legs. Painted and waxed.
Double welting hot glued to cover the rough edges. Note the box construction of the table that prevented the tufting.