Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Chesterfield

And, because I didn't torture myself enough with reupholstering the chair, I got this...

Chesterfield sofa.

For a few months, I've been searching craigslist.com for a vintage chesterfield to have redone.  I finally saw this one and convinced the seller to hold it for me a couple of days so I could pick it up after the monsoon we've been having here in east Texas.  One hundred fifty bucks, people!  Tom drove me two hours in our rattle-trap Dodge pick-up (that still has an amazing stereo, though) to get it.  Patient man.  He doesn't even want a new sofa and would be happy with sitting on bean bag chairs.

Some may wonder why I'd pay anything for a nasty old used sofa.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it's going to be fabulous when it's reupholstered.

I thought it was a gold velvet fabric when I saw the picture, but it's actually real suede.  It was probably amazing when it was new.  Now, not so much.  So, as was my plan for the chair, I'll do the deconstruction.  If it looks like I can put it back together myself, I will, but if it's too much, I'll hire it out.  Either way, it's far cheaper than buying a new one.

Don't remind me of how much I hated every minute of tearing the chair apart.

Time to google "DIY chesterfield reupholstery" tutorials.

No comments: