Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

From Chocolate Ganache Tart to Avocado Pie

Yep, you heard it...Avocado Pie.

I got this recipe from my cousin-in-law ( https://triathlonobsession.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/the-best-chocolate-pie/ ), who calls it "Chocolate Pie".  She got it from Gluten Free Gus's blog ( http://glutenfreegus.com/2012/12/28/387/ ), who calls it "Vegan Chocolate Tart".  Who got it from a British brother-in-law named Uncle Howard, who calls it "Chocolate Ganache Tart".  Uncle Howard apparently has some music on utube that I feel compelled to include so that he gets some credit for the recipe.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKO24MPVF7c

Texans, let's call it what it is...Avocado Pie.

It's quick and easy and I happen to usually keep all of the ingredients on hand, so it's a good dessert when you're in a pinch.  I guarantee that nobody will guess they're eating a pie full of avocado.  Don't get me wrong...I love avocados.  But, the thought of them mixed with chocolate...in a pie, kind of made my stomach do a flip.  Not in a good way.

Here's how you do it (check the blogs above for variations and tweaks).

Ingredients for crust.
8 oz. pecans, walnuts or almonds
6 oz. pitted dates
1/8 tsp. sea salt (more or less to taste)

  Whirl all ingredients in food processor until the consistency of rolled oats.  Press firmly into the prepared pan (I buttered mine).  Chill whilst preparing the filling.

Make the filling:
Ingredients:
3 ripened avocados, peeled and cubed (should not be over ripe)
1/2 cup agave nectar
3 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
1 1/2 cup very good unsweetened cocoa powder - splurge on this.
(Hershey's isn't fancy, but it's what I had and I only used a cup because I just couldn't bring myself to use that much chocolate)

Puree all ingredients, except cocoa,  in a food processor or blender until creamy smooth.  Add a splash or two of water to help if the mixture is too thick to move.

Add cocoa powder and blend completely.

Spoon the filling into the crust and spread evenly.  Chill for two hours or overnight.  Serve with whipped cream and/or fresh fruit. 

Usually, I don't do fruit with chocolate...why ruin a good thing, ya know?  But I could tell that this chocolate needed to be cut with something and I didn't want to take the time to whip up some cream, so I put a few raspberries on mine.  They were a nice contrast with the very chocolate-iness.

Note:  In addition to cutting the amount of chocolate in the recipe down, I also added a little extra agave nectar during the blending because the filling was a little too bitter for my taste.

I think it turned out great and it is paleo approved by my resident paleo-eating son.



1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I made it again for Easter and tonight we ate it before (yes before!) dinner. Can it be akin to chips and guacamole? Yum!