Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Asian Cucumber Salad

I'm looking for ways to use up my cucumbers so that I won't have to make pickles and came across this recipe on allrecipes.com. I made it last night and it was sooo good that I couldn't stop eating it. I used my own cucumbers, onions, and fresh mint and some tomatoes that a friend had grown (unfortunately, my tomatoes are not making).

1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes*
1/2 tsp. salt
2 lbs cucumbers, halved, seeded, and sliced (3 or 4 large cukes is about right)
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
2 roma tomatoes, chopped (other tomatoes work just as well)
2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbs. chopped frest mint
1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts

Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, coriander, red pepper flakes, and salt in a salad bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the cucumbers, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, and chopped mint, and toss to coat with dressing. Cover and refrigerate for an hour to blend flavors. Stir occasionally.

Before serving, toss again with chopped peanuts.

*The red pepper makes it quite hot, so if you don't like hot so much, go easy on the pepper.

No comments: