Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Some Things Have Survived






Despite my problems with planting several things too early so that they didn't sprout, I have had some success with a few things. Carrots and onions have done very well. Even the cabbage, whose leaves look like lace because of some evil little caterpillar munching, has produced it's first full head.




More about Harry...We've been giving him a rawhide chew each evening as we leave him in the barn for the night. It's to keep him occupied so he won't spend his time chasing the cats or tearing up stuff in the barn. We thought he was completely consuming them.




Not so. Evidently, he is stashing them in places for future use. I found three in the golf cart today. They're in a basket that we keep in the back to carry things that we use regularly. When I took the cart out to feed the donkeys, Harry jumped in and took the rawhides, one by one, and stashed them out in the field. He made a feeble effort to bury them, but I don't think he actually dug a hole...just scraped the cut grass around, but the rawhide in and covered them with his nose. I don't know if he'll ever find them again, or if he'll even remember putting them there. We gave him a big bone today that he was ecstatic over. It disappeared when he got tired of chewing. I'll probably find it with my lawn mower in a few days.

No comments: