Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Welcome to Legal Tender Farm

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sad, Sad Garden

I am becoming disillusioned with Texas organic gardening guru, Howard Garrett. I've been planting according to the schedule in his book and hardly anything has sprouted at all. The only things that are growing well are the onion, asparagus and cabbage plants. I think the main problem is that it is just too cold still. The other problem is that stupid hairy vetch. I can't get rid of it and it's choking out the tomato plants and the squash seeds that I planted.

3 comments:

April said...

What in the sam-hill is hairy vetch?

Mosaics said...

A viney cover crop. Garrett recommended that it be planted in the fall and grown throughout the winter. It puts nitrogen back into the soil. Then the idea is to cut it down in the spring and leave it laying on the ground as a mulch.

It's nearly impossible to cut down and what I have cut is growing back. I'm hoping that the summer heat will kill it off.

Meagan said...

Yum, yum, asparagus.

Just get in there and rip out the hairy vetch! Get Paden's friends over and grab it with your hands and pull!